What Items Are Affected?
Here at Express Inks, we like to keep our customers informed of all the latest developments. HP/ Hewlett Packard has announced effective June 1, 2012, a price increase of 3-5% on certain HP ink cartridges. This is a manufacturer price increase that will affect all lines of distribution. It is important to note that this increase will only affect the following types of inks and only certain SKUs.
- Small Format Inkjet Ink Cartridges
- Large Format Inkjet Ink Cartridges
- Photo Value Ink Cartridge Combo Packs
- Printhead Cartridges
How Can I Keep My Costs Down?
Although the ink value packs are increasing in price, they will still usually be the most cost effective. Make sure you take advantage of any rebates or promotion HP is offering. Also make sure you are purchasing the highest yield cartridge that fits your machine. Another alternative will be to consider remanufactured/ compatible ink cartridges. In most cases, you can save a bundle with alternative replacements. Lets compare pricing between some compatible and brand name cartridges.
HP #10 Inkjet Ink Cartridges
HP #10/ C4844A Genuine Black Inkjet Ink Cartridge = $37.99
HP #10/ C4844A Compatible Black Inkjet Ink Cartridge = $14.99
Looking To The Future?
It seems like every year we have more an more price increases to report. As the price of materials go up, we can assume that we will continue to see prices increase. It is also important to note that Hewlett Packard is not the only manufacturer that has annual price increases. Most other OEM manufacturers like Xerox, Lexmark, Canon and Brother have had similar price increases. We will continue to bring our customers as many cost saving solutions as possible.
Tags: HP, Hewlett Packard, Ink, Price, Increase
Understanding The Difference Is The Key!
To know which is better for your particular needs begins with understanding the differences. Each type of cartridges has it’s pros and cons. Understanding these options will help you make an informed decision based upon your personal or business needs.
Genuine/ OEM Ink/ Toner Cartridges
These are brand new cartridges straight from the factory of the original maker of your printer such as HP, Brother, Canon and Lexmark. These come with a warranty from the original manufacturer and will deliver prints concurrent with the original OEM specifications.
Remanufactured Ink/ Toner Cartridges
These cartridges are used cartridges that have been collected and sent to a remanufacturer that is not the original maker. Unlike many retailers, we use only 1 time used or “virgin” cores for all of our products. Our remanufacturing process includes the following steps:
True Compatible Ink/ Toner Cartridges
- Carefully open up the cartridge and ensure no damage is done.
- Thorough cleaning of the inside of the cartridge.
- Inspection of all critical and non-critical parts.
- Replacement of any and all parts that fail quality control.
- Precision color matching of a compatible ink or toner. (OEM ink/ toner is patented)
- Advanced filling and re-sealing techniques to ensure freshness.
These cartridges are what we call “new mold” or cartridges that are newly made by a manufacturer other than the original maker. Although there are some non-patented cartridges the vast majority of them are under patent. Many cartridges on the market, especially the extremely cheap ones are illegal “new mold” cartridges. Express-Inks absolutely does not sell illegal cartridges and any “new mold” cartridges we do offer are on non-patented cartridges.
So Which Is Truly Better? Pros And Cons, Quality Vs. Cost
To decide which is right for you, here is a list of pros and cons of each type of cartridge. Depending on what type of printing you are doing will be the biggest factor in what will work best. In many circumstances the cost may override the quality since the quality is negligible or unnoticeable for many users.
Remanufactured/ Compatible Cartridges
- Pricing, save up to 90% compared to OEM.
- Price increase are rare and typically prices decrease rather then increase.
- Certain models print better, lasts longer or have additional options (jumbo size).
- MICR toners available in models not offered by the original manufacturer.
- Can be available long after the OEM manufacturer stops making a cartridge.
- Higher defect rate compared to OEM. Sometimes cartridges are not recognized by the printer, may leak or produce smudgy prints.
- Colors may by slightly off. Good compatibles should be virtually unnoticeable.
Breaking It Down: Price Comparisons
- Low defect rate and printer chip errors, leaks virtually never happen.
- Color matching is precise and are exact to OEM specifications.
- Pricing can be double, triple or more.
- Price increases are much more frequent and can be substantial. Typical about once a year around 3-5% but can be as high as 15-20%.
- Lack of options like MICR or Higher Yield Jumbo sizes.
- Sometimes unavailable or constrained due to manufacturer errors, global supplies or other factors (sever weather).
- Models may be discontinued by the manufacturer, this has been known to happen to models that are only 1-2 years old.
Lets compare compatible/ remanufactured cartridges to the OEM/ original cartridges. The savings can be massive and should always be a factor in deciding what is best for your needs.
HP #940XL Black Ink C4906AN: Compatible
| Genuine HP C4906AN
Brother TN350 Toner Cartridge: Compatible
| Genuine Brother TN350
HP CE505X (05X) Toner Cartridge: Compatible
| Genuine Brother TN350
Lexmark 64015HA Toner Cartridge: Compatible
| Genuine 64015HA
Tags: OEM, Toner, Ink, Cartridge, Compatible, Remanufactured, MICR.
Hook Line And Sinker? Or Sucker?
Have you ever wondered why printer ink cost so much? Do you wonder why your replacement ink cartridges cost more than the printer? Why does your printer ink cost more than 1,000 times as much as gas for your car?
1 Ounce of gas = $.023 | 1 Ounce of printer ink = $30.00
1 Gallon of gas = $3.00 | 1 Gallon of printer ink = $3840.00
There is one simple reason for this.
Most OEM manufacturers like HP, Canon and Epson take a loss or break even when selling their printers so they need to make their money elsewhere. Manufacturers spend millions each year in research and development on new printer technology. Their solution is to build their profits into the cost of the replacement cartridges. Many manufacturers include small starter cartridges with the anticipation that you will need to replace your ink cartridges quickly and many more times.
So What Can You Do To Avoid These High Costs?
- Do some research and compare the replacement ink cartridge prices before buying a new printer.
- Consider switching to remanufactured/ recycled ink cartridges that can save you up to 70% off the name brand cartridges.
- Recycle your old cartridges. Many stores will give you store credit and you will help save the environment at the same time!
- Make sure you have the right printer for the right job. The wrong printer will cost you dearly in the long run.
Let’s compare the prices of a couple of different ink cartridge models:
HP 88XL Black Ink = $36.99 | HP Compatible 88XL Black Ink = $13.99
You save = $23.00 or 63%!
Brother LC51BK Ink = $21.99 | Brother Compatible LC51BK Ink = $7.99
You save = $14.00 or 64%!
Canon CLI-221 Ink = $15.99 | Canon Compatible CLI-221 Ink = $7.99
You save = $8.00 or 50%!
The numbers used are approximate and are based on the average costs of HP ink cartridges with an average fill level of 15-20 milliliters. If you have any questions please contact us.
Tags: Why, Ink, Cartridge, Cost, Price, Expensive
Hewlett Packard is offering the end users a $15 gas gift card with the purchase of $75 in eligible Original HP inkjet ink cartridges. Purchases be on original HP ink cartridges models and must be at the same time, on the same invoice. View Offer
Save more with out MyRewards program. Earn points on every purchase exclusively at Express-Inks! View Program Details
Earn more rewards points with the HP PurchasEdge program. Earn rewards for your everyday purchases! View Program Details
Why wait, start saving money today. Search For HP Ink Cartridges Now!
Express-Inks is headquartered in the USA, in the southern California city of Perris. Express-Inks started in 2008 as an local online retailer for replacement re-manufactured ink and toner cartridges. Since then Express-Inks has grown into a nationally recognized online superstore for printer and copier hardware and supplies. Since our inception, Express-Inks has operated under one main focus: Quality printer supplies delivered cheaply and quickly.
Express-Inks core values and operating principles can be seen in everything we do. We offer our customers many options during a unique buying experience. These options include genuine (OEM), re-manufactured, true compatibles (not re-manufactured) and continuous ink systems. Our friendly customer service representatives are readily available to deliver professional advice on the many options we offer. Our work does not end in a sale! Our support staff are always available before and after a sale. Express-Inks only offers premium re-manufactured ink, toner and MICR cartridges that are produced by ISO 9001/ 9002 compliant manufacturing facilities. These cartridges will not void your printer’s warranty under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Preserving the environment is a part of every day life at Express-Inks. This blog is a way for us to inform our customers of new energy conserving tip, hints and technologies as they become available. Click here to learn more about Express-Inks Green Initiative.
TAGS: Express-Inks, About Us, Company Information
Click here to view Express-Inks website.